Thursday 10 July 2014

A day relaxing in Caye Caulker



Having arrived in Caye Caulker the previous day, I was wondering what there was to actually do on the island. The main activities seemed pretty limited – there were some water sports available but not many at all – the main activity was snorkelling.

I woke up at about 8am – most people seemed to wake up early as the morning – some said it was due to the heat – even at night the temperature was pretty high. I decided that for the next couple of days I’d spend time just relaxing on the beach, swimming and enjoying the view. I didn’t really know how long I’d spend in Belize as the only plan I really had was to go to Guatemala City for my flight back home the week later.

I sat and talked to some of the others in the hostel and then made my way to the beach. The “beach” in Caye Caulker is interesting – there isn’t really a sandy beach which continues into the sea – instead, the sandy part is cut off with a very small wall and the water has piers and is used as a place from which the boats depart. But there is an area called “the split” which is where the island, in the 1960s was split by a hurricane. The main island is where everyone lives and the other island is full of mangrove and has, as of yet, not been developed. Having said that, they are just starting to build a bridge now and will in the future be developing that area too. The split itself has a bar on an area of sand, but the part near the water is concrete.
 
I managed to find a quiet spot under a palm tree on the sandy area where I sat and read.    

I spent some of the morning reading and then went to the split where I spent the rest of the day. I sat there and read, met some people and went swimming in the clear blue water.  

In the evening, I went back to the hostel and then returned to the split to watch the sunset, which was, as always very beautiful.





In the evening I went for dinner and chose a restaurant with a view of the sea reflecting the bright light of the full moon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment