Thursday 3 July 2014

Final day at Sumpango

My time in the morning clinic was very busy. There were still no students around apart from one and I found myself being very busy triaging the patients for the first two hours. After this, me and the one nursing student went to the “treatment room” where they received injections and other minor procedures and went through a large number of patients waiting to receive injections.

There were also a few people who were attending to have their stitches removed and one person who had an abscess under his arm. I think that in England we would usually incise and drain it if possible. Here they seemed to have the patient attend the clinic regularly and everyday squeeze the pus out as much as possible.

After triaging some more patients it was soon time to go home. I said goodbye to those I had met many times at the clinic and made my way back to Antigua. I spent some time around the marketplace looking for Thank You cards but they were near to impossible to find!

I then met my tandem and spent time talking to some of the other volunteers who were at Maximo Nivel.

I returned home in the evening and had dinner before walking around town to have a bit more to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment