Sunday 22 June 2014

Corpus Christi Celebrations

I woke up at about 9:30am as I had been told that there was a procession which was going to be going by our house at about 10:00am celebrating Corpus Christi. I had breakfast and waited around to see when the procession was going to go past. By about 10:30am people were starting to get ready for the procession and soon enough the people started walking past. The road had been decorated and the people passing were often singing and some were playing instruments.

It was lovely to see the community get together for the event.

After watching the procession, I returned to the market place where I spent the rest of the morning. By early afternoon, it was raining heavily and I stopped at a Mexican place for lunch – and ate some vegetarian quesadillas which were really nice and cost less than £2 altogether.

When I returned home, I found a new girl had joined the house. She was from USA and as the world cup game with USA was about to start, we went to watch the football between USA and Portugal. It was a bit of a roller coaster game with Portugal scoring in the last 20 seconds to equalise…

It was early evening by now and we decided we’d go for dinner. We walked towards 5th Avenue (where the yellow arch was) and we had dinner before heading back home.

Thelma’s son and his family were at home when we arrived and we spent some time talking to them as I had not met them before. It was nice to see their family getting together and it was a good time to practice more Spanish!


No comments:

Post a Comment