Sunday 29 June 2014

Indian Nose and Lake Atitlan

I woke up at 3:30am and quickly got ready to meet the group going to Indian Nose at 3:45am. There were 16 of us altogether. The bus journey took about 45 minutes and climbed most of the height for us.

It was still very dark as we hiked the remainder of the way up. It took about 30-45 minutes and there were regular screams as a dog would walk past us.

We arrived at the top to see a magnificent view. The lake was glimmering in the light as the sun began to rise. The lights from the local towns could be seen and the silhouettes of the mountains gave a beautiful background for the rising sun. 









    

 
Even the animals seemed to want to watch the sunrise!




As the sun rose, the colours of the sky changed and we stayed watching the astonishing scenery for about an hour before heading back to San Pedro.


  

Having had very little sleep, I slept for a few more hours before spending some time exploring the town again. I also took the boat across the lake to San Marcos and looked around that town. It was very different to San Pedro – San Pedro is very touristy – full of people from abroad staying in hostels. San Marco on the other hand is a retreat for those who wish to explore their spiritual side – with most places offering Yoga, spiritual enlightenment and a spiritual focus. It was a very pretty town with lots of greenery and the housing / hostels often blended in with the natural surroundings.

That evening I broke my fast in a restaurant called Shanti Shanti – where I could eat and admire the view of the lake. Although the landscape prevented me from seeing the sun setting specifically, the change in light was clearly reflected in the lake as it became darker.




I spent the evening walking around town again and soon headed off to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. the pictures are amazing! just look at the colors! although I am not over there anymore, I feel like I am reexperiencing the whole trip :)

    ReplyDelete