Saturday 7 June 2014

Time to leave!

Guatemala. Who would have thought? It's not exactly the most common place to go to. The more I read about it, the more I see how amazing a place it is. In less than 24 hours, I will be there -  more than 5000 miles away!

It's a daunting thought - 6 weeks away from home. Fortunately I've signed up to volunteer with International Volunteer HQ which appears to be well organised and it's a comfort to know that a structured organisation awaits me. I've signed up to do a Medical Placement for 4 weeks. It'll be an amazing experience I'm sure. I'm a bit apprehensive about the idea that I'll be working in a place where I don't know the language - but I was in Uganda for 4 weeks too a couple of years ago and enjoyed learning about the practices there as well as performing procedures and helping where I could. I have tried to learn a bit of Spanish which hopefully will help a bit - and I hope to pick up a lot more of the language whilst I'm out there.

I guess it's a bit different to Uganda though - now I'm a "qualified doctor" more will be expected of me. And as I've just completed a course in Tropical Medicine, I should have a greater idea of the types of diseases that I'll come across....haha. I only hope that I can help out in a little way - and work towards doing more in the future.

I've been reading a bit about Guatemala's rich history and looking at some of the beautiful scenery that covers the landscape - it's so exciting to think that I'll actually be there so soon. My bags are packed and I'm ready to go!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Latin American culture and the tropical climate (although it is rainy season and the weather forecast seems to show thunderstorms for the next week!!). But it's all good...seeing tropical storms is an experience in itself.


So anyway, it's goodbye to England for now! I'll try to keep a regular diary of my travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment