Monday 30 June 2014

Leaving Lake Atitlan

I had booked to travel back to Antigua – leaving at 2:30pm from San Pedro to head back to Antigua.

I woke up at about 9am and packed my things. The view from the door of my room was beautiful and I felt very glad that I had stayed the extra night:



I made my way down to the deck and sat on the edge – looking over the lake and the mountains ahead.


I met up with someone who had been on the same bus as me on the way from Antigua and spent the morning walking from San Pedro to San Juan and then on to San Pablo. The views whilst walking along the only road connecting the towns was very picturesque.
  
I think it’s the combination of the mountains and the water which gives each picture a postcard-type look. The towns were very similar to each other – none of them were as touristy as San Pedro – they had local houses and shops with lots of bibilical pictures on the walls.




It was soon time to catch the shuttle back to Antigua. The journey was generally without problem – although there was a large amount of traffic getting in to Chima which delayed the journey significantly.

I also spoke to a couple on the bus who had been in San Pedro for the same time as me. The previous day they had also been walking along the road from San Pedro to San Juan and all of a sudden were confronted by two people in masks with machetes. They, of course, gave up their bags and were spared injury – but they lost their camera with all the pictures on it.

I arrived in Antigua soon after 7pm and made my way back to the house where I had dinner and relaxed before heading off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment